NISE 2022 - Free Sunday Event
Visions of the Past!
Inspiring Future Explorers through the JWST & Backyard Astrophotography
Are you fascinated by space?
Are you interested in learning more about the James Webb Telescope?
Do you wonder what the James Webb Telescope will tell us about the Universe?
Would you like to learn how you can take some of your own space photos?
NISE is offering a night for you to relax and learn from two experts in the field. NISE welcomes you to an evening of learning and socializing with two experts! Presentations include Into the Unknown: NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope by Mei-Li Hey and Five Ways to Get Started in Astrophotography by Nico Carver.
The night will consist of two presentations. During this event, you will also have the opportunity to meet each presenter, ask questions, and discuss space with others interested in the field. This event is open to teachers, students in high school or college, or anyone looking to enjoy a NISE night discussing space and inspiring future explorers. (Younger aged students are welcome if accompanied by a parent.)
This event will feature two presentations:
- Mei-Li Hey presentation is titled Into the Unknown: NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope. Mei-Li will present on the mission of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) and its place in scientific history. By using novel infrared technology, JWST will elucidate discoveries about the universe and our place in it. The presentation is given from the perspective of a Design Engineer, Mei-Li Hey, and her role during the Integration, Test, and Launch phases of JWST. Mei-Li's journey into the aerospace field was inspired largely by her high school educators, and the presentation elaborates on the importance of STEM education and outreach to support a diverse workforce in the industry.
- Nico Carver presentation is title Five Ways to Get Started in Astrophotography. Astrophotography is a very rewarding hobby and there has never been a better time to try it. There are many avenues for getting started. In this session, Nico will introduce five of the easiest and most rewarding approaches for someone who is a complete beginner, and would like to try photographing our universe.
North Central College
Event Schedule: Sunday, November 13, 2022 (subject to change)
- 5:00 pm - Arrival and Light Refreshments
- 5:15 pm - Presentation by Nico Carver
- 6:00 pm - Presentation by Mei-Li Hey
- 6:45 pm - Social time where you can ask questions and meet both presenters
This event is FREE and open to the public including parents and students in high school and college. Light refreshments will be available. Updates on the event will be made available here as the date approaches.
Pre-registration is required and will be limited to 200 attendees.Download a printable flyer to share with collegues!
Questions? Contact the NISE help desk at email@example.com