Call for Presenters
Northern Illinois Science Educators is pleased to invite you to present at our fifth annual conference, NISE 2018: SEP by SEP, on Monday, November 12, 2018 at the NIU Conference Center in Naperville, IL. All K-16 science educators are invited to submit a proposal to present. Our goal is to bring science educators together to collaborate and share ideas and methods for best practices in science education.
- Our ideal presentations are "hands-on", interactive, and engaging but we also understand that due to limited contact time, sometimes this isn't the best approach. Presentations can be in many forms including (not limited to) hands-on workgroups, demonstrations, panel discussions / Q&A, lectures, etc.
- Please plan your presentation to be around 40 minutes in length and plan for an additional 5-10 minutes for questions. The last ten minutes is for take down and set up for the next presenter. Presentations will start each hour.
- NOTE: There are a very limited number of workshops that are double length (2 hours) that run during day. These are typically pre-arranged / invite only. If you want to propose a double length workshop and are not interested in presentation, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your idea.
- All presentation rooms will have a projector and a computer with a "hard wired Internet" and MS Office.
- Attendees will have WiFi Internet access but have a backup plan.
- Cost for presenters and attendees will be $165.00 ($150.00 with 5+ on a single PO). Each presenter (or group) will receive a token of appreciation for presenting.
- Pre-service science educators are also encouraged to submit presentations and can register for the conference at a special, half price rate ($82.50) when verified.
- Science safety is an essential part of science education. Your presentation must meet all legal and professional safety standards for this environment. This is not a laboratory environment and we don't have the corresponding safety equipment. Additionally, participants will be bringing food and beverages into the rooms. For these reasons, no chemicals, heat sources, fire, hazardous materials, liquids, pressure vessels, animals, etc. If you are unsure or have any questions about using any item, please email us (see below).
- Lunch will be provided at the conference. If you have special dietary requirements, make sure you note these restrictions when registering for the conference.
- NOTE: It is anticipated that each Illinois educator, including presenters will receive up to 5 CPDU credits (depending on the number of sessions attended). Due to ISBE requirements to receive the CPDUs, you must provide us your Illinois Educator Identification Number (IEIN) when you register for the conference if you wish to receive CPDUs.
Example Topics (NOT LIMTED TO THIS):
- Assessment in the Science Classroom
- Implementing NGSS SEPs & CCCs
- NGSS Basics & Essentials
- NGSS Resources
- Scientific Literacy
- Technology in the Science Classroom (1-to-1, Chromebooks, iPads, Data Collection, etc)
- Transitioning to NGSS
- STEM, STEAM, & Engineering
- Science Safety
- Conservation and Sustainability
- Student Projects, Competitions, and Field Trips
- Science Administration
- ... and any other science teacher or administrative topics.
To print a flyer to share with collegues: Download CFP Flyer (PDF).
To submit a presentation for consideration:
Click Here for the NISE 2018 Presentation Proposal Form
(Deadline: September 15, 2018)
If you have questions or comments, email us at: email@example.com